Where Medicine and Nature Meet
Mien Shiang Facial Diagnosis and Medical Qigong Meditation Workshop in Stunning Iceland
October 11th to 18th, 2015
Join Patrician McCarthy, Master face reader and author, and Henry Jun Wah Lee, L.Ac., physician of Chinese Medicine and award winning nature filmmaker, in the breathtaking Icelandic countryside for an incredible 7 day, board approved 50 CEUs/PDAs workshop on Mien Shiang (Chinese Taoist Facial Diagnosis / Face Reading) and Medical Qigong Meditation. This workshop is open to anyone interested in Traditional Chinese Medicine, facial diagnosis and medical qigong. Beginners are welcome.
Learn the diagnostic tools of Mien Shiang – Taoist Medical Facial Diagnosis. Based on the same foundations and principles of Traditional Chinese Medicine and the Five Elements, you will be able to easily combine these tools into your clinical practice. Mien Shiang enables you to recognize the inherent personality characteristics and behavioral traits of each of the Taoist Five Element personalities to help you to quickly and effectively diagnose and treat the innate gifts and challenges associated with each personality type. Knowing Mien Shiang is life-changing. It will not only help you better understand and work more effectively with your clients and patients, it will also help you to recognize and understand your own gifts and challenges.
Practice powerful, yet simple, Medical Qigong meditation exercises that open the 12 primary meridians as well as the 8 extraordinary vessels. Teach them to your patients as part of treatment and utilize them yourself for your own health and wellness.
Integrate your studies of Mien Shiang and Medical Qigong through the Five Elements and explorations in nature. TCM is based on observing and learning from natural world. The workshop is set in view of Europe’s largest glacier, Vatnajökull, where there are scenic glacier outlets, lagoons, waterfalls, mountains, beaches and the spectacular Northern Lights.
Be inspired by Nature’s wisdom, beauty and power through direct experiences with the pristine land, some of the world’s darkest skies, magical Northern Lights, clean air and pure glacier water.
About Mien Shiang
Mien Shiang is a 3,000-year-old Taoist practice that means literally face (mien) reading (shiang). Mien Shiang was first used in China as a diagnostic tool of Traditional Chinese Medicine to detect signs of existing ailments as well as predispositions to illness of mind, body and spirit, simply by studying one’s face. The Taoist monks who were advisers to the Emperors and other high-ranking officials further developed the art of Mien Shiang to help them evaluate the personal integrity and honesty of those doing business with the courts and officials. In just moments, they could determine anyone’s character, personality, health and wealth potential.
Today, it continues to be a reliable means of self-discovery, and a great way to help us understand others. We all have instinctive responses and reactions to people, but Mien Shiang is not about reading facial expressions, telltale tics, or shifty eyes. Expressions and postures can be manipulated. Face shapes, positions and sizes and shapes of each feature, lines, shadows, moles, and other facial markings, however, tell the truth. They are foolproof signs, if you know how to read them — if you know the art of Mien Shiang.
About Patrician McCarthy – Mien Shiang Institute
Patrician is the first Mien Shiang expert to translate the ancient science of Mien Shiang for the mainstream American public. She founded The Mien Shiang Institute to teach the Taoist technique of Medical Facial Diagnosis, Wu Xing (the Five Element philosophy), and Face Reading. She created the first university Certificate Program on these teachings in the United States. She has served on the faculties of Yo San University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Los Angeles, and Emperor’s College of Oriental Medicine in Santa Monica, California.
For nearly thirty years Patrician has applied the power of this discipline to the modern world. Through her private practice she has studied thousands of faces and told their owners the most intricate and personal details of their minds, emotions, health, and spirit. Her workshops have helped many to discover their life’s passion, find their right partner, resolve conflicts, and much more. Patrician has applied the practice of Mien Shiang to many professional fields. She brought it to Fortune 500 companies such as Google, Nivea, Mattel, KPMG, Old Navy, Gap and Proctor & Gamble. These workshops show executives and creative teams how to improve working relationships using Mien Shiang and the Taoist Five Elements, and have resulted in phenomenal personal, team, and company growth.
About Medical Qigong
Medical Qigong are holistic exercises (body, mind, spirit) that have been developed, refined and practiced in China for thousands of years. They are used for whole-body wellness, meditation, disease prevention, longevity, healthy aging and self-healing. They can aid the body’s healing process, strengthen the immune system, calm the mind and balance the emotions. Most people can practice Qigong regardless of age or physical fitness.
The exercises taught during the workshop include Rejuvenation Medical Qigong, seasonal Medical Qigong and facial rejuvenation exercises. Rejuvenation Qigong treats all 12 primary channels and all 8 extraordinary vessels. The exercises help with many chronic conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, skin, reproductive and sexual health. Seasonal Qigong reflects the changing energy of the seasons. You will be learning and practicing the Winter series for cultivating Kidney and water energy. To complement the facial diagnosis portion of the workshop, you will also learn a series of facial rejuvenation Qigong exercises that benefit the various parts of the face and their corresponding internal organs.
About Henry Jun Wah Lee, L.Ac. – Evosia Wellness and Evosia Studios
Henry is a licensed acupuncturist and physician of Chinese Medicine. In addition to his clinical practice, he has studied and taught Medical Qigong for 15 years under Grandmaster Hong Liu, a living treasure in China and Hawaii. Henry is also an award winning nature filmmaker and photographer whose work has been featured by National Geographic, NPR, the BBC, the United Nations, the European Union, Great Britian, MSN, Yahoo, Gizmodo, Canon and Samsung. Henry combines Chinese Medicine, Medical Qigong and nature in his holistic practice as well as his art. His films about Iceland’s breathtaking landscapes are extraordinarily beautiful and have been viewed by millions worldwide.
Workshop & Activities
The workshop is a mixture of indoor and outdoor classroom time, as well as outings into nature to experience the intimate link between medicine and nature first hand. You will not only learn but also have many opportunities to apply and practice the art of Mien Shiang and Medical Qigong during our time together. There is also plenty of free time for your own personal exploration of the area.
Here’s what a typical day looks like during the workshop:*
- Qigong at sunrise surrounded by spectacular mountains, waterfalls, streams and glaciers.
- Icelandic breakfast overlooking the Vatnajökull glacier.
- A morning session of Mien Shiang that includes lectures and reading faces. Our sessions may be indoors or outdoors at one of many breathtaking locations near the glacier.
- A 3 hour break for lunch and personal exploration.
- An afternoon session of Mien Shiang and Medical Qigong.
- A locally prepared dinner either on the farm or nearby.
- A trip to see the Northern Lights after dark.
Other activities may include*:
- Exploring world-famous and breathtaking locations such as Jokulsarlon Glacier Lagoon, Diamond Beach with black sand and beached icebergs, Vatnajökull glacier, and the Western Horn by Stokksnes.
- Tasting fabulous local Icelandic cuisine with the best tasting tap water and butter in the world.
- Experiencing the magic of the Northern Lights and extremely dark skies.
- Meeting the friendly locals — Iceland farmers, free range sheep, beautiful Icelandic horses, wild reindeer, and migratory birds.
*Weather and conditions permitting. Subject to change.
Planning Your Trip
Date and Time:
- Workshop begins Sunday evening, October 11th at 7pm for dinner and concludes Sunday, October 18th at 2pm.
- All participants are expected to arrive at the farm by Sunday evening on October 11th to check into their rooms. This allows time to settle in, attend our opening dinner, and get a good night’s rest before the official program starts the next morning.
- Iceland is on Greenwich Mean Time. In October, they are 7 hours ahead of Pacfiic Time and 4 hours ahead of Eastern Time.
- If you want to arrive earlier or stay longer, we can help make arrangements for you at our group discounted rate. Please let us know!
The workshop will take place on a beautiful farm in Southeastern Iceland with amazing views of nature. Despite its name, Iceland is actually very green. Due to the gulf stream, Iceland enjoys a milder climate than New York or Boston. Typical temperatures in October are highs in the low 50s and lows in the mid to high 30s.
- Scandinavian-style modern rooms on the farm with free wifi Internet access.
- Vatnajokull glacier overlooks the farm and is a hike away.
- Natural hot springs on the property with pools set up for a nice soak while taking in the scenery or watching Northern Lights.
- Short drive from the Hofn airport and the coastal town of Hofn.
- Scenic locations such as the world famous Jokulsarlon Glacier lagoon, Diamond beach, Vatnajokull Glacier, and Stokksnes are all within a 40 minute drive (or less) away.
All international flights into Iceland will arrive at Keflavik airport near the capital of Reykjavik. Direct flights from Seattle and Denver take under 8 hours. Flights from Boston and New York are under 6 hours. Iceland Air offers daily flights from across the US at reasonable prices.
Once you arrive at the international airport, you have several options to get to our workshop location. We have a van pickup option to take you from the airport direct to the workshop location with several scenic stops along the way. Cost is $125 each way. You can also either rent your own car and drive (6 hours but very scenic and highly recommended), take a commuter flight from the capital Reykjavik to the Hofn airport (1 hour) or take the bus (9-10 hours). Local rental cars are also available in Hofn.
We will help you make the arrangements you choose.
What You’ll Need to Bring
- Pen and paper to take notes. Or a computer/ipad. We will have handouts as well.
- Cool and cold weather clothes. Typical weather during this time will range from the low 50s/high 40s during the day to the mid to high 30s at night. We recommend dressing in layers including: a quick drying base layer such as a wool or polyester t-shirt, sweater/fleece, down sweater/jacket, and a waterproof outer layer. This will allow you to shed or add layers for a wide range of activities.
- Light and comfortable hiking shoes. Waterproof is recommended but nothing too heavy duty.
- Gloves and hat.
- Water bottle.
- Yoga mat.
- Flashlight. A headlamp with a red light option is recommended for seeing northern lights.
- A camera with tripod if you want to take some night photos.
- Bathing suit if you want to enjoy dipping in the hot springs.
- International travel and health insurance is highly recommended.
After the scheduled workshop, we are offering private Mien Shiang readings and photography outings into nature. If you are interested in staying longer for these activities, please contact us for more information.
Iceland is a scenic place with a lot to see and do. While not required, renting a car is recommended if you want to go off on your own during free time and also before or after the workshop.
- Early registration discount is extended until July 31st: $2295 per person based on double occupancy with private bath. Regular price: $2495 after July 31st.
- Upgrade to a single room with private bath for an additional $500.
- Workshop is limited to 15 participants.
- All workshop activities for 50 CEUs.
- Room for 7 nights
- Breakfast and snacks for all 7 days.
- Opening night dinner and closing meal.
- Transportation to scheduled group outings into nature.
The workshop fee does not include international airfare and domestic travel getting to and from the workshop location. It also does not include lunch or dinner except as specified.
Space is limited so please register early to reserve your spot in the workshop.
- $250 nonrefundable deposit is due upon registration. This will hold your spot in the workshop.
- $1,000 installment payment is due July 1st.
- Remaining balance is due August 1st.
- Full refund minus the $250 nonrefundable deposit is possible until August 15th
- Between August 15th and September 15th, we can provide a full refund minus $500
- There are no refunds after September 15th unless you can find someone else to take your spot in the workshop.
Please contact Evosia at 213-878-4885 with any questions. You may also email email@example.com. 50 CEUs approved by the California Acupuncture Board. 50 PDAs approved by NCCAOM.